“Do not let kindness and truth leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart.” (Proverbs 3:3)
In a world full of busyness, chaos and overcommitted schedules, it so easy to slip into an introspective mindset, “It’s all about me and what I need”, being concerned only with one’s self or those closest to us. An inward focus becomes fertile ground for a selfish heart to develop. It can do so very slowly, without one even noticing the fade away from selfless to selfish.
Our neighborhoods, workplaces and schools are filled with hurting people, and the opportunities for acts of kindness are infinite. Jesus said, “Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me” (Matthew 25:40). We do not want to pass up a chance to add good to someone’s day, as it will make our day too!
Today, as you think past yourself and your own circumstances, what are some ways you can give back and practice random acts of kindness?
- Mow or rake your next door neighbor’s lawn.
- Bake cookies for your child’s teacher.
- Write a handwritten thank-you note.
- Call a family member to tell them you love and appreciate them.
- Leave the waiter a more-than-generous tip.
- Buy the homeless person on the street a cup of coffee or lunch.
- Pay for the person behind you at the drive-through restaurant.
- Make a hospital or home visit to someone who is ill.
- Offer to babysit for a busy mom.
- Volunteer in your church or community.
- Smile a lot, and keep your eyes open for opportunities to practice kindness.
A random act of kindness provides happiness to the person you are serving, as well as to you. It benefits everyone and shows you respect and love others.
What are you waiting for? Go out today and look for ways to practice kindness and bless others.